Infant swimming lessons with the Y are a great way for your child to discover the water.
Suitable for children and babies from six months to three years of age, our infant program provides a safe and playful environment for your child to begin their swimming journey. We focus on water familiarisation, exploration and safety skills.
In the infant program, children will learn to:
- be familiar with having water over their face and head;
- blow bubbles;
- safely recover from a fall in;
- float, paddle and propel themselves through the water.
Parent and baby swimming
Parent and baby swimming is incorporated into our infant swimming lessons.
As a parent or carer, you will be with your baby or toddler in the pool until they turn three years of age. This builds confidence, supports your child's learning and gives you the opportunity to bond with your child. During the lessons, you'll also learn about water safety and learning you can do in the home.
Parents and carers must stay in the pool with infants for the whole lesson.
Our swimming teachers
Our teachers hold nationally accredited swimming teacher and water safety certificates, as well as specialised qualifications for teaching infants. They have current CPR certificates, Working with Children Checks and have training in safeguarding children and young people.
Infant swimming levels
Whether your baby is dipping their toes in the pool for the first time or your toddler is a keen paddler, we have a swimming level suited to your child.
Ages: six to 12 months
Ages: one to two years
Ages: two to three years
In some instances swimming levels may be combined to ensure all children and parents are able to enjoy the social benefits of group activities.
Infant swimming lessons information
Please see the current prices below for baby and infant swimming lessons.
Fortnighyly direct debit Concession fortnightly direct debit Standard rate $27.80 $21.00
Payment for our swimming lesson membership is taken fortnightly by direct debit, with the total cost spread out across the year with 26 equal payments. This minimises the cost impact to families and ensures your membership is easy to maintain.
No lock-in contracts – simply provide 14 days' written notice to cancel.
We review our prices each year.
What benefits do swimming lessons members receive?
Swimming lessons members receive:
- 48 swimming lessons per year - one per week;
- unlimited pool access for the student, along with a supervising parent - great for practise or play;
- access to the pools across Latrobe during operating times;
- 10% merchandise discount;
- access to four make-up lessons per year for children who miss a lesson;
- optional summer suspension during non-program weeks;
- certificates for each level of the program achieved.
What should I bring to baby swimming lessons?
- Swimwear (for yourself and your child)
- Dry clothes
If your child is still in nappies, you will also need to bring aqua nappies that fit tightly around the thighs. Don't worry if you don't have any or forget to pack them – you can buy them in centre.
Are infant swimming lessons accessible?
Yes. Infant and toddler classes supported by a parent in the water are a great way for all children to be introduced to water regardless of ability.
When should babies start swimming lessons?
Babies must be at least six months old to start swimming lessons and our infant and toddler programs are ideal for children up to the age of three years.
Introducing your child to the water from a young age helps them to become strong, safe swimmers with a lifelong love of the water.
How to enrol in swimming lessons
To enrol in infant and baby swimming lessons, please submit the enquiry form.
Watch Around Water policy information
YMCA Victoria is a Watch Around Water endorsed aquatic safety organisation. Watch Around Water is a set of industry guidelines that outline the minimum supervision requirements of young children at aquatic venues.
We have followed the Watch Around Policy (outlined below) in our centre since 1 September 2019.
Children under five years old
- All children must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 17 and be supervised within arms’ reach at all times in the water.
- All children must wear a pink wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
- Children will not be admitted without a full fee paying parent/guardian who must also be in the water at all times.
- Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under five years exceeds the ratio of 1:2.
Children under 10 years old
- All children under the age of 10 must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 17.
- All children must be actively supervised by an adult over the age of 18 at all times. The adult must have a clear and active view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them (this includes tech and devices
- such as mobile phones).
- All children must wear a yellow wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
- Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 10 years exceeds the ratio of 1:4.
- All children under the age of 10 must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 17 and handed over to the supervision of the birthday party leader (staff member).
- All birthday party participants must wear a blue wristband and an age-based wristband (pink or yellow) to identify their participation in a party.
- The adult guardian of the birthday party child must remain accessible and actively supervise the group at all times.
- At the conclusion of the birthday party, children will remain in the supervision of the birthday party leader and supervising parent until physically handed over to their supervising parent/guardian.
For more information visit the Watch Around Water website.