Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre is proud to offer swimming lessons with the Y.
We're passionate about inspiring children to develop a lifelong love and a positive connection to the water by learning to swim.
Our swimming programs
Our swimming programs help students become better and safer swimmers.
Swimming lessons at Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre run for 48 weeks throughout the year. We offer lessons for infants, preschool children, school-age children and adults. We also run swimming programs for schools and holiday swimming programs.
Learning to swim is even easier with an ongoing Swimming Lessons membership, which includes a weekly lesson and access to our pools all year round!
Gippsland swimming pool facilities
The swimming pool facilities at Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre include:
- a 50 metre indoor heated pool;
- a 25 metre outdoor heated geothermal pool;
- a warm water program pool, heated to 34 degrees;
- a learn to swim pool;
- a toddler pool;
- two large water slides and an indoor aquatic play area;
- wet and dry changing rooms with all abilities access.
Swimming lessons benefits
In Australia, we love catching up with friends and family outdoors. This means that a pool, the beach, a lake or river is never far away – and that's great! However, each year the drowning report show us that even competent stroke swimmers can get into trouble in the water or tragically lose their lives.
That's why learning to swim is about more than just mastering different swimming strokes. It's also about establishing a lifelong appreciation for safe activity in the water. Our swimming lessons teach vital survival skills and knowledge so that your child stays safe in and around water. These are skills that will benefit your child for life.
With our swimming lessons, your child will:
- develop and refine their swimming strokes;
- learn essential water safety, personal survival and open water techniques;
- understand how to cooperate with and respect others in the water;
- be able to make sensible decisions and solve problems in and around water;
- develop their physical health and wellbeing;
- build their water confidence.
Accredited swimming teachers
Passionate, professional and industry-qualified, our swimming teachers will empower your child to reach their full potential in and out of the water.
All of our swimming teachers undertake ongoing training and professional development. We invest in them to ensure they lead the delivery of our expertly developed curriculum.
Swimming lesson levels
We offer a range of swimming lessons to suit different ages and abilities. Take a look at our swimming lesson categories below.
To register your interest in swimming lessons, fill in the enquiry form.
Fees and payment
Fees are paid fortnightly by direct debit. No lock-in contracts. 14 days written notice are required to cancel.
Swimming lesson membership includes weekly lesson and access to the pools for the student and supervising adult at any other time - great for practice!
Fortnightly direct debit
Concession fortnightly direct debit Infant swimming lessons $27.80 $21.00 Preschool swimming lessons $29.40 $22.00 School-age swimming lessons $30.80 $23.20 Adult swimming lessons $30.80 $23.20 Fees effective 1 July 2021 - 30 June 2022.
All centre fees and charges undergo an annual pricing review.
Make-up lessons for missed classes are available to those who register their non-attendance prior to the class commencement time.
Suspensions are permitted for medical reasons only on presentation of a medical certificate.
Program and safety requirements
- Bring swimwear, towel and goggles if required (recommended, but not required) and warm, dry clothes for after class
- Parents of infant and preschool classes should bring swimwear to provide support to their child in the water if needed
- Infants must be at least six months old
- Infants/toddlers in nappies must wear aqua nappies that are tightly fitted around the thighs (available for purchase in centre)
- Parents of all children lessons should come to the edge of the pool at the start of the lesson and directly hand over your child to the teacher
- Parents of infant classes must remain in the pool at all times
- Parents of preschool classes should watch the lesson
- Parent/guardians over children under the age of 10 years must be present and visible on pool deck at all times
- Parents of all children lessons should stay as close as possible to the lesson (for example, by sitting in the chairs around the pool)
- Parents of all children lessons should come to the edge of the pool at the end of the lesson and collect your child from the teacher
- Photos are only allowed in the pool area with prior arrangement (never in the change room area) - and always have full consent
- The Watch Around Water policy for active child supervision must be followed at all times
Watch Around Water policy information
YMCA Victoria is a Watch Around Water endorsed aquatic safety organisation. Watch Around Water is a set of industry guidelines that outline the minimum supervision requirements of young children at aquatic venues.
We have followed the Watch Around Policy (outlined below) in our centre since 1 September 2019.
Children under five years old
- All children must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 18 and be supervised within arms’ reach at all times in the water.
- All children must wear a pink wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
- Children will not be admitted without a full fee paying parent/guardian who must also be in the water at all times.
- Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under five years exceeds the ratio of 1:2.
Children under 12 years old
- All children under the age of 12 must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 18.
- All children must be actively supervised by an adult over the age of 18 at all times. The adult must have a clear and active view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them (this includes tech and devices
- such as mobile phones).
- All children must wear a yellow wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
- Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 12 years exceeds the ratio of 1:4.
- All children under the age of 12 must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 18 and handed over to the supervision of the birthday party leader (staff member).
- All birthday party participants must wear a blue wristband and an age-based wristband (pink or yellow) to identify their participation in a party.
- The adult guardian of the birthday party child must remain accessible and actively supervise the group at all times.
- At the conclusion of the birthday party, children will remain in the supervision of the birthday party leader and supervising parent until physically handed over to their supervising parent/guardian.
For more information visit the Watch Around Water website.