Learning to swim is great, but there's more than just swimming strokes to learn to stay safe in and around water. Swimming lessons help children establish a lifelong appreciation for safe activity in the water – learning vital survival skills not just for the pool but for rivers, lakes and the ocean and around water.
With our swimming lessons, children will learn to:
- develop and refine swimming strokes;
- cooperate with and respect others in an aquatic environment; and
- make safe and sensible decisions and solve problems in and around water.
In Australia, ingrained in our culture is catching up with friends and family outdoors. This means that a pool, the beach, a lake or river is never far away – and we love that! That’s why our swimming lessons are designed to teach vital skills and knowledge for your child now, and into their adult life, for lifelong aquatic enjoyment!
Getting started with swimming lessons is easy. Take a look at our program pathways and find the right level to get started.
We focus on safety and survival skills
There are many swim schools that teach kids how to swim freestyle and backstroke. It’s nice to be able to swim well, however sadly each year the drowning report show us that competent stroke swimmers can still get into trouble in the water and tragically even lose their lives. We teach swimming, but we also teach essential water safety, personal survival and open water techniques. Skills for life.
As well as swimming safety, our swimming lessons also follow the latest COVIDSafe regulations.
Our teachers are industry leaders
We are immensely proud of our professional and passionate swimming teachers. We invest in them to ensure they lead the delivery of our expertly developed curriculum. Our swimming teachers are industry-qualified and undertake ongoing training and professional development which drives their passion and ability to empower kids to reach their potential.
Progression at the right time
It is important to us that your child's learning with us is sustainable. Our kids do not move to the next level until they meet critical program competencies. They will be so proud of themselves when they're awarded their certificate for completing all of the required skills – and will be too!
From enjoying a simple splash around as kids to experiencing an off-the-beaten-track waterfall, swimming with the dolphins or kayaking down the most incredible river as a young adult, give your child the skills they need for life.
Swimming lessons information
To register your interest in swimming lessons, fill in the enquiry form.
Fees and payment
Fees are paid fortnightly by direct debit. No lock-in contracts. 14 days written notice are required to cancel.
Swimming lesson membership includes weekly lesson and access to the pools for the student and supervising adult at any other time - great for practice!
Fortnightly direct debit
Concession fortnightly direct debit Infant swimming lessons $27.80 $21.00 Preschool swimming lessons $29.40 $22.00 School-age swimming lessons $30.80 $23.20 Adult swimming lessons $30.80 $23.20 Fees effective 1 July 2021 - 30 June 2022.
All centre fees and charges undergo an annual pricing review.
Make-up lessons for missed classes are available to those who register their non-attendance prior to the class commencement time.
Suspensions are permitted for medical reasons only on presentation of a medical certificate.
Program and safety requirements
- Bring swimwear, towel and goggles if required (recommended, but not required) and warm, dry clothes for after class
- Parents of infant and preschool classes should bring swimwear to provide support to their child in the water if needed
- Infants must be at least six months old
- Infants/toddlers in nappies must wear aqua nappies that are tightly fitted around the thighs (available for purchase in centre)
- Parents of all children lessons should come to the edge of the pool at the start of the lesson and directly hand over your child to the teacher
- Parents of infant classes must remain in the pool at all times
- Parents of preschool classes should watch the lesson
- Parent/guardians over children under the age of 10 years must be present and visible on pool deck at all times
- Parents of all children lessons should stay as close as possible to the lesson (for example, by sitting in the chairs around the pool)
- Parents of all children lessons should come to the edge of the pool at the end of the lesson and collect your child from the teacher
- Photos are only allowed in the pool area with prior arrangement (never in the change room area) - and always have full consent
- The Watch Around Water policy for active child supervision must be followed at all times
Watch Around Water Policy Information
YMCA Victoria is a Watch Around Water endorsed aquatic safety organisation. The following information is the new watch around water policy launched in centre from 1 September 2019.
Watch Around Water is a set of industry guidelines outlining the minimum supervision requirements of young children at all affiliated aquatic venues.
Children under 5 years oldAll Children MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a responsible person 16 and over and supervised within arms’ reach, at all times in the water.
All children MUST wear a pink wristband supplied by GRAC staff to help identify their age while swimming.
Children will not be admitted without a full fee paying parent/guardian who must also be in the water at all times. Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 5 years exceeds the ratio of 1:2 (effective September 1 2019).
Children under 10 years oldAll Children under the age of 10 MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a responsible person 16 and over. All children MUST be actively supervised by an adult over the age of 18 at all times. The adult must have a clear and active view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them (this includes tech and devices).
All children MUST wear a yellow wristband supplied by GRAC staff to help identify their age while swimming. Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 10 years exceeds the ratio of 1:4.
Birthday PartiesAll children under the age of 10 MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a person over the age of 18 and handed over to the supervision of the birthday party leader (staff member).
All birthday party participants must wear a BLUE wristband AND an age based wristband (pink or yellow) to identify their participation in a party (effective September 1 2019). The adult guardian of the birthday party child MUST remain accessible and actively supervise the group at all times.
At the conclusion of the birthday party the child/children will remain in the supervision of the birthday party leader and supervising parent until physically handed over to their supervising parent/guardian.
Visit the watch around water websiteFor more information visit the Watch Around Water website.