Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre is proud to offer swimming lessons with the Y.
We're passionate about inspiring children to develop a lifelong love and a positive connection to the water by learning to swim.
Our swimming programs
Our swimming programs help students become better and safer swimmers.
Swimming lessons at Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre run for 48 weeks throughout the year. We offer lessons for infants, preschool children, school-age children and adults. We also run swimming programs for schools and holiday swimming programs.
Learning to swim is even easier with an ongoing Swimming Lessons membership, which includes a weekly lesson and access to our pools all year round!
Gippsland swimming pool facilities
The swimming pool facilities at Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre include:
- a 50 metre indoor heated pool;
- a 25 metre outdoor heated geothermal pool;
- a warm water program pool, heated to 34 degrees;
- a learn to swim pool;
- a toddler pool;
- two large water slides and an indoor aquatic play area;
- wet and dry changing rooms with all abilities access.
Swimming lessons benefits
In Australia, we love catching up with friends and family outdoors. This means that a pool, the beach, a lake or river is never far away – and that's great! However, each year the drowning report show us that even competent stroke swimmers can get into trouble in the water or tragically lose their lives.
That's why learning to swim is about more than just mastering different swimming strokes. It's also about establishing a lifelong appreciation for safe activity in the water. Our swimming lessons teach vital survival skills and knowledge so that your child stays safe in and around water. These are skills that will benefit your child for life.
With our swimming lessons, your child will:
- develop and refine their swimming strokes;
- learn essential water safety, personal survival and open water techniques;
- understand how to cooperate with and respect others in the water;
- be able to make sensible decisions and solve problems in and around water;
- develop their physical health and wellbeing;
- build their water confidence;
- challenge themselves to build endurance and strength for the sport of swimming.
National Swimming and Water Safety benchmarks
Our Swimming Lessons with the Y program is aligned to the National Swimming and Water Safety Framework.
This means that as children progress through our program, they are also meeting key milestones through the achievement of benchmark skills for six year olds, 12 year olds and 17 year olds, determined by Royal Life Saving Society Victoria.
Accredited swimming teachers
Passionate, professional and industry-qualified, our swimming teachers will empower your child to reach their full potential in and out of the water.
All of our swimming teachers undertake ongoing training and professional development. We invest in them to ensure they lead the delivery of our expertly developed curriculum.
Swimming lesson levels
We offer a range of swimming lessons to suit different ages and abilities. Take a look at our swimming lesson categories below.
To register your interest in swimming lessons, fill in the enquiry form.
Fees and payment
Fees are paid fortnightly by direct debit. No lock-in contracts. 14 days written notice are required to cancel.
Swimming lesson membership includes weekly lesson and access to the pools for the student and supervising adult at any other time - great for practice!
Fortnightly direct debit
Concession fortnightly direct debit Infant swimming lessons $27.80 $21.00 Preschool swimming lessons $29.40 $22.00 School-age swimming lessons $30.80 $23.20 Adult swimming lessons $30.80 $23.20 Fees effective 1 July 2021 - 30 June 2022.
All centre fees and charges undergo an annual pricing review.
Make-up lessons for missed classes are available to those who register their non-attendance prior to the class commencement time.
Suspensions are permitted for medical reasons only on presentation of a medical certificate.
Program and safety requirements
- Bring swimwear, towel and goggles if required (recommended, but not required) and warm, dry clothes for after class
- Parents of infant and preschool classes should bring swimwear to provide support to their child in the water if needed
- Infants must be at least six months old
- Infants/toddlers in nappies must wear aqua nappies that are tightly fitted around the thighs (available for purchase in centre)
- Parents of all children lessons should come to the edge of the pool at the start of the lesson and directly hand over your child to the teacher
- Parents of infant classes must remain in the pool at all times
- Parents of preschool classes should watch the lesson
- Parent/guardians over children under the age of 10 years must be present and visible on pool deck at all times
- Parents of all children lessons should stay as close as possible to the lesson (for example, by sitting in the chairs around the pool)
- Parents of all children lessons should come to the edge of the pool at the end of the lesson and collect your child from the teacher
- Photos are only allowed in the pool area with prior arrangement (never in the change room area) - and always have full consent
- The Watch Around Water policy for active child supervision must be followed at all times
Terms and Conditions
A parent or guardian is required to actively participate in the water with babies and young children in all of our Infant and Preschool modules.
Spectating parents and guardians should always remain poolside watching their children whilst in lessons and follow the Watch Around Water Policy at all times.
Swimming teachers must see a visual handover to the parent or guardian of every child at the end of class so please ensure you are present for this to ensure the safety of your child and the continuous smooth running of our program.
The YMCA welcomes the capturing of your magic moments on camera or video, however privacy of others must be respected. The use of cameras and video at this venue is conditional upon having all relevant individuals consent to use images noting it is illegal to broadcast or publish images without consent. Under no circumstances are cameras, video cameras or mobile phones to be used in change room areas.
All Swimming Lesson members have unlimited access to the pools to practice or play. The parent or guardian accompanying the child also receives free access.
There are no lessons held on public holidays. If you miss a lesson due to a public holiday, you can arrange a make-up lesson as per our make-up policy.
Your Direct Debit Request [DDR] Service Agreement, which you signed on enrolment, contains all of the information and terms and conditions related to your membership with us.
A seven day cooling off period applies to your signed membership agreement.
Membership payments will be made via scheduled Direct Debit as set out in your DDR Service Agreement.
If a scheduled debit date falls on a public holiday, we will debit your account on the next business day. Credit card debits are live transactions, therefore they will be honoured or declined immediately, so it is recommended that the funds are available the night prior to the debit.
Bank account debits may take up to five days to be cleared from your account.
Please ensure your nominated account can accept direct debits.
There must be sufficient money in your account on the payment (debit) day.
It is your responsibility to inform us at least three business days before your next direct debit payment if you need to change your payment details.
If your payments are not made on the due date, your automatic centre access and lessons will be suspended until your payments are up to date.
There is a late payment fee of $10.00 if your payment isn’t honoured. This will be debited from your account with the next scheduled payment.
Your YMCA centre may at any time upon sending an email or written correspondence to your last known contact address and giving 30 days’ notice increase the agreed amount or make changes to terms and conditions. If you have any queries in relation to any proposed changes please contact your YMCA centre.
Your membership will continue indefinitely until such time as you request a cancellation in writing. This can be done by completing a cancellation request in centre or emailing us to request a cancellation.
No claim for cancellation will be recognised without a receipt of confirmed cancellation, either in the form of a copy of your cancellation request or a return email from us confirming your cancellation request has processed.
There will be a period of notice of 14 days between the date of request and the date of actual termination, during which any payments due must still be paid in full.
If you or your child are unwell, stay home and get well. Help us keep our facility clean and healthy by not attending if you or your child:
- have an infection, contagious illness or physical ailment, such as an open cut or sore;
- have had diarrhea or ‘gastro’ symptoms;
- a rash that is contagious or undiagnosed;
- there is any other risk, however small, to other members and guests.
Infants are required to wear aqua nappies that are tight fitting around the thighs if they still need to wear a nappy. Standard nappies are not permitted in the pool. Please change your child’s aqua nappy away from the pool, and dispose of it in the appropriate bin.
If you miss a class due to illness, please book a make-up class. Longer term suspensions for the Swimming Lessons program are available for medical reasons. A medical certificate must be provided.
Suspending or cancelling swimming lessons
Suspending your membership
You can suspend your membership for a minimum of two weeks and a maximum of 12 weeks. To do this you must:
- Fill out an amendment form at the centre or online;
- Lodge the form at least three business days before the start of your suspension.
You will pay $5.00 per missed lesson while your membership is suspended.
To suspend your membership on medical grounds, you must provide a valid medical certificate covering the relevant dates. We cannot backdate a medical suspension beyond one month.
You will not pay any fees during a medical suspension.
Cancelling your membership
You must give us 14 days' notice in writing to cancel your membership. You must pay all outstanding fees before you can cancel. Credits on your account are not refundable.
We recommend you contact your bank to confirm the cancellation of direct debit membership payments.
Watch Around Water policy information
YMCA Victoria is a Watch Around Water endorsed aquatic safety organisation. Watch Around Water is a set of industry guidelines that outline the minimum supervision requirements of young children at aquatic venues.
We have followed the Watch Around Policy (outlined below) in our centre since 1 September 2019.
Children under five years old
- All children must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 18 and be supervised within arms’ reach at all times in the water.
- All children must wear a pink wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
- Children will not be admitted without a full fee paying parent/guardian who must also be in the water at all times.
- Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under five years exceeds the ratio of 1:2.
Children under 10 years old
- All children under the age of 10 must be accompanied into the centre by a person over the age of 18.
- All children must be actively supervised by an adult over the age of 18 at all times. The adult must have a clear and active view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them (this includes tech and devices
- such as mobile phones).
- All children must wear a yellow wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
- Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 10 years exceeds the ratio of 1:4.
For more information visit the Watch Around Water website.